Wednesday, April 11, 2007

the pooches

Since I've already introduced our old Vizsla, Devon, I figured I may as well introduce the rest of the canine crew, so I took a few quick pics while we were out playing with them this afternoon.

This first picture is of J playing with our three Smooth Collies. They're the same breed as the "Lassie" type Rough Collie, just a different coat type (Smooth= short-haired = a lot less grooming!). From left to right is our 4 month old sable and white male pup, our 5 year old tri-colored female (and J's best buddy), and our 18 month old blue merle female. All three of these dogs are very closely related, from a good line of working Collies. These are the dogs that I personally am most vested in, and most of my training efforts are focused on them. They are not dissappointing me!

Here is the Collie that started it all for me. He's 10 1/2 years old now, and getting a bit long-in-the-tooth, so to speak, but he's a grand old dog. It's no wonder I fell in love with the breed after working with him. He's been retired for a couple of years now, and is more than happy to let the youngsters do the farm work. He spends most of the day lying on "his rock", a good vantage point from which to keep a watchful eye over the entire farm.

Here's my small diversion. This cute little thing is our 3 year old Shetland Sheepdog (Sheltie) girl. She's a pretty good little sheepdog, too. I don't spend as much time working with her as I probably should, but she still gets enough work to earn her a spot in the "fab four", as I refer to the 4 dogs I am currently actively training.

And here's Teak. He's a 4 year old smooth-coated Border Collie, from a truly outstanding working lineage. I really should place this dog, as I've decided not to work him -- the amount of effort versus the quality of what I'm getting in return on investing time in him isn't worth it for me right now. Maybe if I had less "stuff" going on in my life. He COULD be a really great working dog. But I just don't have the time or energy for him. However, he's a wonderfully tolerant, mellow house dog, and just great with the kids and the other dogs, so I've found it hard to part with him. I placed him once, but he came back after experiencing problems in his new home. He's a complex dog, not for everyone -- he's very protective of his property and family, and that's what got him in trouble in his other home. But I have to believe there is the perfect home for him out there somewhere. I just have to get to the point where I can bring myself to look for it.

No comments: