Monday, November 24, 2008

week #10 (2nd week of 3rd block)

The kids monkeying around in J's loft earlier in the week.

We were in a bit more of a normal groove this week, although I still pretty much entirely slacked off on Practice Time. Mostly because I've run out of handwriting sheets and can't print any more out until I get a new printer cartridge. But also, I came to the conclusion that doing reading practice with my kids was just silly, given that they spend a higher proportion of each day reading that is probably ideal. However, by the end of the week Zoo Boy started insisting on Reading Practice again, so we went back to it anyway. I think he just likes having my undivided attention when he reads to me (and I don't blame him one bit). As long as it's serving a purpose, I really don't have a problem with it.

In any case, we launched our new Canoe Trip Adventure Circle, which was an instant hit. (Here Zoo Boy gleefully flings himself out of the "tallest oak tree" to crash in a "pile of leaves" at the bottom.) Our curriculum stories for the week were "Vasily and the Dragon" (introducing the letter "D") and "The Luminous Pearl" (introducing the letter "L"). For Nature story on Friday evening, I read "The Mournful Goodbye" as The Map Man and the kids munched popcorn by the fire, and on Saturday we painted our impression of what the geese saw beneath them as they migrated.


The temperatures were ridiculously cold for mid-November, not getting above the mid-20s all week (and with temps at barn chores time well in the lower teens). That brought a sudden end to our morning walks, and the kids spent an hour each morning chasing the puppy around instead. (Which honestly was probably more exercise than they ever got on a walk!).

(Cute little sprite, isn't she?)

Monday was the last day of the fall semester for our Monday Homeschool Classes. We attended the Homeschool Chorus concert (which was really cute!), then J was awarded a certificate in soccer, while Zoo Boy created his final Paws-n-Claws project (a turkey-decorated bucket). I'm sorry to see that class end, I had fun with it, but I have even more fun things planned for those preschoolers (and the older kids!) for the winter semester! (More details to come!) Tuesday we FINALLY got back to Speech and Occupational Therapy sessions for Zoo Boy (after a forced break due to lack of transportation). We focused on motor planning and the "sh" and "r" sounds this week, seamlessly weaving the therapy work into our adventure circle (I should post details on that I guess...). Thursday and Friday the kids had classes about Dinosaurs at the local children's museum. Prior to J's class on Thursday afternoon, we attended a local "meet and greet" session at our town library with other local homeschooling families and 20 or so homeschooled kids about my guys' ages. On Thursday night, J started one of my Puppy Kindergarten classes that I teach at a local dog training center with Grace (our pup). He's very enthusiastic about becoming a "Junior Dog Trainer" (his term!), and is practicing his dog training skills every day, with great success already. Friday after Zoo Boy's class we headed over to the nature center in our favorite park to meet up with our friends T, D and B, and had a nice afternoon of visiting with each other and a couple of the park's resident snakes. Sunday was J's chorus practice -- the show is getting close! There will be extra practices for the next two weeks. From the sounds of things, the group needs it....

(The kids taught Grace to run through their tunnel this week.)

We didn't make much progress with our chapter book, The Cricket in Times Square, by George Selden, mainly because I am easily distracted by bright shiny objects (and cute fuzzy puppies). Story Time books for the week were I See Animals Hiding, by Jim Arnosky; How Do Bears Sleep?, by E.J. Bird; and Wild Child, by Lynne Plourde, illustrated by Greg Couch.

This coming week will be a "lite" one, with the Thanksgiving hoorah, I mean holiday, devouring the 2nd half, so we'll only do one story cycle this week. (But it's a GOOD one!! Stay tuned....)

1 comment:

Christine said...

awwww.... The Cricket in Times Square... one of my favorites!