Wednesday, August 22, 2007

dazzling dinos

This afternoon J went to a class about Dinosaurs at the local Children's Museum. If he had his way he would have been in class there all summer long, he just loves the museum and he loves being involved in ANYTHING, so maybe next year we'll sign him up for more. He loved this class and the teacher, and she was equally enthusiastic about having him in class too, saying that she hoped he'd do other programs with her in the future.

The class was behind closed doors, so I didn't get to observe any of it, but J brought me into the room afterwards and showed me this Triceratops "skeleton" that they built. (There were a couple dinos like that, dino puzzles, dino games, etc.) He also pointed out the "dinosaur music" that was playing.

Meanwhile, Zoo Boy, who said "no thank you" when I offered him a spot in the class, played with the museum's Opposum...





...hooked up with some kids to play with in the exhibits...









...and dressed up like a bee. He also read various books (or had me read them to him), "sold produce" at the play farm stand, cooked and ate a pretend meal in the play kitchen, rode the concrete horse, set up and played with a toy train set, gave several guided tours of the animal exhibit room to first time visitors who didn't know all the animals' names, and decided at some point during our afternoon that he needs to get a guinea pig. (Probably while he was talking with one of the museum's employees -- his favorite question to ask there these days is "does it make a good pet?") This was news to me. On the way home he told J, "I'm going to get a Guinea Pig!" I said, "You're WHAT??? I don't think so!" (But you know me, I'm sure the child will wind up with a Guinea Pig at some point....)

No comments: