Tuesday, August 21, 2007

one day project

So, I woke up this morning and decided that we needed a front walkway. Today. Up until this point, we've been using two pieces of plywood and a horse stall mat. Not that our red-neck solution wasn't functional, but with all the sprucing up we've been doing around the yard, it seemed to be an idea whose time had come and gone.

So off we drove to the Home Depot to look at our walkway options. What I really wanted was some sort of stone pavers. But I quickly realized that there was no way to do that particular project in a day. I pondered in the aisle for quite some time (enough time for the kids to wander off and get themselves in a bit of trouble with a moving staircase). Then some lovely flagstone slabs caught my eye. Just the thing I wanted for a patio out back, when we finally get around to working on the back of the house. (Maybe next year. Maybe not.) So I bought the flagstones. Definitely a spur-of-the-moment decision, though you'd think that the time it took to load those stinkin' heavy stones onto my cart, and again off my cart and into my van, would have been enough time for me to realize that I didn't need flagstones right this minute. But that realization didn't strike until I was well on my way home.

It didn't dawn on me until this evening that I could use the flagstones temporarily for the front walkway -- nice thing about flagstone, it holds up really well, so in a few years when we finally get around to either needing them in the back of the house for a patio or finally become ready to undertake a pavers project out front, we can just pull them up and use them again. Fortunately, I had just enough daylight left to get the project accomplished.

No comments: