Saturday, February 16, 2008

valentines

I thought I'd publish some of the kids' Valentine's Day artwork. See the post below this one for what we actually did on Valentine's Day (which had absolutely nothing to do with the holiday, but was a bunch of fun anyway!).

This first photo is of the cards the kids made me. Zoo Boy's is to the left, and I'm pretty impressed with how extensive his coloring/drawing is on it. He told me it's a picture of a giraffe and a...oh shoot, some other animals, I can't remember which... in a tornado. I think it's a darned good depiction of what it looks like in a tornado!! J's card is to the right, I loved how he cut out the heart shape to use the negative space as the illustration. My creative kids!

Here's another Valentine's Day card that J made for me, during his Heart Class last week. Wish you could see the front -- there's a realistic drawing of his heart (as opposed to a valentine) on the cover.

The cards the boys made for The Map Man. They used my watercolor painting from earlier in the week to cut out their cards. (Zoo Boy wanted to cut up his own painting, but I wouldn't let him, I want to keep his first painting!) Zoo Boy's in the traditional card-shape to the left (he's not much on a lot of words inside!), and J's is the cut-out heart shape on the right.

J also took at class at the local children's museum about Valentine's Day. They got to meet a dove (which rhymes with love, by the way) and picked out a museum animal to make a card for (J chose the chinchillas -- I didn't get a good shot of his card, unfortunately). They also made gifts for one other person -- I scored a totally rockin' pipe-cleaner-and-bead bracelet. His friend B made him a pipe-cleaner sculpture (which he really loved, because it was from B), and another boy in the class, also named J, made him a set of bug antennae.

As for my hunka-hunka-hubby, he surprised me by dropping off a lovely rose at the local restaurant where my teaching assistant and I stop after teaching classes each week. Imagine my shock when a florist's package was delivered along with our nachos and drinks! What a sweetie.... For his efforts, I brought him home a delicious piece of strawberry shortcake.

Hope everyone had a LOVE-ly Valentine's Day!

No comments: