Friday, June 13, 2008

ode to Ned's legs

We've been "on vacation" this week, which has included both family and family-minus-one-or-two activities. For the past 2 days (and the next 2) I've been attending herding clinics so I've not been around. The Map Man has been taking photos like crazy of all the fun he and the boys have been having, which I will eventually have time to post (warning -- there's bound to be a glut of posts at the start of next week!). In the meantime, while at my parents' house on Wednesday, my mother told me a true family story that I felt was worthy of going down in family history in a poetic format, so last night before bed, I hashed out the following:

Ode to Ned's Legs

My Grandfather's Uncle, a farmer named Ned,
Lived with Aunt Mary, tho' they were not wed.
I don't have the details, but you can be sure
That back in that day such things caused quite a stir.
And perhaps is why fate came to knock on Ned's door
One day while Aunt Mary was washing her floor
(Which happened to be a great passion of hers),
While Ned headed out to attend to his chores.

When his wagon got stuck on his way into town,
Ned knew he could fix it and quickly jumped down.
I'll spare you the details, it could have been worse,
But Ned should have thought to unhitch his team first
Before slipping down under to push with his legs,
And from that day on forward Ned walked on two pegs.

Except for on Tuesdays, 'round mid-afternoon,
Which is when Mary pulled out her mops and her broom.
You see, those pegs scuffed up the floor as they bumped,
So Aunt Mary made Uncle Ned walk on his stumps.

No comments: