Thursday, May 21, 2009

end of year awards and performance

Monday marked the end of this school year's Monday Homeschool Classes, and was a day for awards presentations and performances. First we attended the presentation of the Junior Master Gardener certificates -- here J accepts his from his instructor.


The certificate, plus the insect and disease and landscape horticulture pins. The instructor is working on starting a garden for the JMG class in a community garden location, so I'm sure we'll see more JMG activities this summer. Which will thrill J, he's just loved being involved with JMG.

Then the Homeschool Chorus performed. Here's a sampling from their concert, a Northern Native American lullaby (J is on the far right):



The kids all take a bow. They were working on singing rounds this semester, and it was challenging for them, but the results were wonderful!






After a few other activities that my kids were not involved with, J took part in a soccer game at the conclusion of his soccer class. His instructor says that he's really doing well with his soccer skills. (He's the kid on the far left with the blue shirt on.)


Then they handed out certificates and trophies for all the soccer kids. And then I served ice cream to everyone -- I had sundae toppings left over from my Farm Animal class (we talked about cows in the final class and made ice cream), and decided that an ice cream treat was a great way to end the year. I was right -- the kids (and some of the adults!) were thrilled.

It was a great year -- the boys really loved the classes they were involved with, and I very much enjoyed all the classes I taught. But I'm ready for a break before we dive back in again next fall!

No comments: