Tuesday, May 8, 2007

midday walk

Abandoning the idea of a bike ride, after remembering that The Map Man had taken the van -- where the bikes reside -- to work, we instead set out on a walk for our mid-day adventure. I personally prefer a walk, although I am thrilled that the kids are learning to use and enjoy their bikes. But, for today at least, they didn't seem to mind hoofing it instead, especially as it meant they got to bring their favorite Collie along too. (The kids can't control their bikes quite enough yet for me to feel comfortble bringing a dog with us when they are on wheels.)

We enjoyed the neighbor's daffodils (although I think technically these are jonquills?) in a variety of yellows and whites. We're planning to plant some spring-flowering bulbs in our own yard this fall so that we can look at these sorts of beautiful blossoms out our windows.

Another neighbor's apple orchard is in full bloom. My mouth waters just thinking about fresh fall apples, and J reminisced about apple picking last fall, and is looking forward to doing it again this year.





We saw some fiddleheads coming up amongst the skunk cabbage in a damp area not far from our property. I'm not familiar enough with the ferns to know which species these belong to, although I did notice that the bracken ferns are already unfurling their leaves, so I know what these are not!

One of my favorite sites after returning from a walk or bike ride is this -- the view of our very own pony pasture as we enter the driveway. The forsythia is just gorgeous this year, adding to the pleasurable scene.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

beautiful!!!
Bea