Sunday, August 9, 2009

money well spent

Last Saturday J triumphantly waved his money from his job in my face and announced "Now I have enough for the bike! Can we go shopping?" And on Friday, we did. Here he is with his new bike. He wound up buying an 18" bike rather than a 20", because he couldn't quite stand flat-footed with the seat on the lowest setting of the 20", and Mommy puts her foot down when it comes to safety issues like that. But the good news was that the bike he bought was considerably less money than the one he'd wanted, so his piggy bank isn't completely empty. Learning to ride the bike will be a bit of a priority for the rest of this summer and into the fall.

Meanwhile, true to his word, Zoo Boy took his money shopping as well, and bought a new Bionicle. Here he is working on building it on Mimi and Grampy's front walk while J fiddles around on wheeled things in the driveway. I actually like these silly things -- I like the concentration and effort needed to assemble it, and I love the vast imaginary play that arises from playing with them. So even though they are icky plastic, I think they have significant value for The Boy.


The Map Man gave the kids another chance to play with wheeled things (here J is on his razor scooter, and Zoo Boy is on the bike he inherited from J) on Saturday at the local Elementary School. Personally, I think it was just his excuse to pick blueberries, which are growing wild all along the fence around the school yard....



Speaking of which (and no, these are not the wild blueberries The Man was munching, it's a basket of domestic berries that my Dad gifted me with), this has been a banner year for Blueberries in Connecticut. Nice to know that SOMETHING has benefited from all the rain and cool temperatures. Just about every other crop the state produces is in serious trouble.


Oh, hey, look! Those Robin eggs hatched! What a nice surprise on my camera!




No comments: