Wednesday, August 12, 2009

overheard in the chicken coop

While scooping the pony paddock this morning, I paused by the door to the chicken coop to listen to the following interchange:

"Hi there, chicken. You have to move so I can take your egg."

Some clucking and general sounds of discontented poultry ensued.

"I'm sorry, chicken, but the egg's not fertile, so you really don't need it."

More noises of malcontent from the nest.

"There's nothing I can do about it! We don't have a rooster, and without a rooster to fertilize your eggs, you'll never have any baby chicks. So you might as well just let me have that egg!"

Moments later Zoo Boy comes skipping out of the hen house, basket in hand, eggs inside.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh, that is hilarious! We have a rooster, but he still isn't giving us fertilized eggs...he better step up or he'll be supper ;)