Monday, June 4, 2007

The Laurel Sanctuary

Another adventure of the weekend took us to The Laurel Sanctuary, a part of Nipmuck State Forest in Union, Connecticut. This area is named for the large quantities of mountain laurel that grow along the forest road here. The laurel will be in bloom in another few weeks, so we'll be sure to return then to get some photos of this spot in it's full glory. In the meantime, we stopped in to do a little letterboxing. Here are the boys searching for the starting point described in our clues.

Meanwhile, I was excited to find lots of blue-eyed grass, one of my all time favorite wildflowers, in bloom. We get these in our yard too (if the lawnmowers don't get them first!), but I've yet to see any in bloom yet this year. Isn't it just the cutest little flower ever?




We finally located our starting point and from there on it was easy hunting. Zoo Boy unearthed the box from it's hiding spot and we sat down to enjoy looking at the other stamps in the notebook.


We stamped the box's book with our stamp, and stamped our book with the box's stamp, a really cool home-made stamp of mountain laurel blossoms. The kids were intrigued with the design, and we took a good look at those laurel buds on our way out, imagining what they will look like when they blossom in a few weeks.

On the way out we discovered this nice pink ladyslipper along the forest road. So of course I had to pull over and take a picture. Photographing wildflowers is a family affliction. My grandmother was badly addicted, as is my father. I had been hoping that it would skip a generation, but I seem to have developed a late-onset version of the disease. I suppose I may as well resign myself to it since, as far as I can tell, there is no cure.

No comments: