Sunday, March 30, 2008

a spoonful of sugar

Playing a little catch-up with my blog -- so much fun stuff has been happening this past week, and I'm having trouble finding time to post about it all!

On Friday Zoo Boy (towards the right side of the group, looking intently at what the teacher is showing them) participated in an adorable museum program entitled "Spoonfuls of Sugar", which was a series of activities based on Mary Poppins. They did sidewalk paintings, rode imaginary carousel horses, pretended they were chimney sweeps, had a tea party on the ceiling, and, of course, flew a kite. Zoo Boy had a BLAST!

I caught what glimpses I could of the class through the classroom door. Here the kids are on the stage doing some sort of game with blocks and paper shapes. (Zoo Boy is towards the back end of the line, with a navy and gray shirt on.)


The class flies their "kite", a parachute (Zoo Boy in the back towards the right side of the pic.) The Boy couldn't wait to tell J and me the details of class, and showed us the bird and chalk drawing he made. All 3 of us left the museum singing "Let's Go Fly A Kite" to the smiles of the museum staff.

While Zoo Boy was in class, J occupied himself with reading. Meanwhile I got some curriculum planning done. I'm thinking I might use time that Zoo Boy is occupied with classes a bit more productively with J. When J is in class, Zoo Boy is content to hook up with other kids in the museum and play. J is just enough older than the little kids that are running about to feel that his time is better spent reading. There's so much stuff in the Enki curriculum that I'd love to do with him but that Zoo Boy isn't ready for yet, I'm thinking that I might be able to take advantage of Zoo Boy's enthusiasm for classes to involve J in projects and activities of his own.

J and I did get to attend a live animal program. And since we were the only people in attendance, J got to pick which animal he wanted to meet. He selected the ball python. So he got a personal lesson in the care and feeding of pet snakes.

No comments: