Sunday, March 9, 2008

winter wrap-up, week 24, winter #12

This was the last week of our winter semester. It was a VERY busy one! It started with J's Homeschool Chorus concert, which was made extra special because my mom was able to come visit our favorite children's museum with us. It was also a big week because not only did Zoo Boy turn 5, he took his very first museum class, and then had a great big party at our favorite park, complete with an educational program about farm animals. It was QUITE a week!


Here's Zoo Boy at his party, playing "Pin the Tail on Pikachu", designed by my good friend T (isn't it totally cute?!?!).

This was the last week for our Bear Hunt Adventure Circle, and the boys' friend Fluffy joined us for our very last time. The kids will miss it, but are excited about our NEW early spring adventure circle, which will feature the story line of Raven and River, by Nancy White Carlstrom. The kids occasionally looked over my shoulder as I worked on the plans for our new circle, and at one point Zoo Boy said "You know what we should do for an Adventure Circle? Five Little Ducks." Great idea!!! I enthusiastically exclaimed, and I meant it. How great is that! He's got his own ideas for Adventure Circle! I promised him that we'll do Five Little Ducks after Raven and River. Maybe I'll even let him help me plan which activities to use!

If you thought Pikachu was cute, look at this!! This is one of our baby birds, now looking like an actual bird. We are having SO MUCH FUN with them! This one is named Blueberry. They are still in the nest box, but are just learning how to climb a little, so soon will be venturing forth, I am sure!


Reading, reading, reading. Our lives are filled with books and stories!! This week's curriculum story was a repeat of last week's The Boy Who Loved Bears, since I didn't feel like we got enough repetitions in last week. And as busy as we were again this week, we didn't get as many in as usual either, but between the two weeks, I think we're covered with it. For Family Story Time this week, we read The Snow Lambs, by Debi Gliori; Bear, by John Schoenherr; and Raven and River, by Nancy White Carlstrom, illustrated by Jon Van Zyle, which our new circle will be based on. (GREAT nature story for early spring!!)

A little haiku:

Winter has finished.
Spring is creeping towards us,
Slowly but surely.

No comments: