Tuesday, March 25, 2008

weekly (late!) summary, week 26, spring #2

I know, I know! This is several days later than it should be, and I apologize to those of you who have actually been waiting for it. My only excuse is that, more and more, my life is getting in the way of my blogging. We're just out there having too much fun, there's not enough time to sit here and type!

Anyway, it's been a ridiculously busy week, what with that start of our Monday Homeschool Classes Spring semester, with both kids booked to the gills, and a museum class for J the following day, where he created all the wonders in this picture. We also visited a couple of the museums in Springfield, MA.



The weather this week was a lot like this -- not particularly spring-like. I did a bit of soul-searching and discovered that I've been trying to "push" the spring thing a bit too much, so we dropped curriculum story for this week and next, and are just concentrating on our Raven and River Adventure Circle (which I keep promising I'll blog about, and so I will!).

We topped out our week with a festival celebrating the Spring Equinox. The Map Man said that really, the spring celebration should have begun on Imbolc, at the start of February. (That's the pagan holy day that demarcates the beginning of rebirth -- makes sense, as traditionally this is when many early spring animals are being born in their dens, shepherds' flocks are lambing, and trees are being tapped at the start of the maple sugaring season.) But, I'm sorry, there is no way I'm celebrating Spring in the heart of frozen winter around here. I have trouble enough celebrating it in March! (Snow is forecast for tonight, and they're predicting a big storm at the end of the week -- Spring my BUTT!!)

But anyway, it was really fun celebrating regardless!

And I know you all want to see what the baby birdies are looking like now, so here they are. This will be my last weekly update on them, since they are now full-fledged adolescents, no longer babies. Cute, no?? That's Huckleberry nearest the camera, Raspberry in the middle, and Blueberry furthest away. (Oh, and proud papa Pineapple in the background, who thinks his kids are crazy for happily stepping up onto our hands and letting us carry them around.)

Family Story Time books this week were: It's Spring, by Linda Glaser, illustrated by Susan Swan; Goose's Story, by Cari Best, illustrated by Holly Meade (this is a very sweet story about overcoming a disability, my kids just loved it!); and the beautiful Mother Earth and Her Children, by Sibylle Von Olfers, illustrated by Sieglinde Schoen Smith.

No comments: