Tuesday, April 21, 2009

spring comes creeping in

Our Forsythia is at long last in bloom, seen here in the background behind my fence-climbing children and their feline companion, Cosmo (old yet still nimble).

Is it just me, or does Spring seem to be taking a particularly long time getting here this year? I remember in past years being astounded by the sudden explosion of color, so I don't know if I'm more anxious than usual, or perhaps just paying more attention to the slow and steady change this year. Whatever the case, the seasonal shift has been subtle this year, and I've found myself growing impatient with it. I want warmth and color, already! (Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty happy to just not have bitter cold and ice. I don't want to be TOO greedy!)


Our Daffodils bloomed this week. Our Crocuses and Tulips didn't fare as well -- none of last year's bloomers survived the winter. I'm undecided as to whether it was the weather conditions or hungry mouths that got them. (I know that Tulip bulbs in particular are a favorite of underground burrowers.) Regardless, I've firmly decided to plant a greater variety of Daffodils this fall to increase the color in the garden next spring.

If we look closely on our morning walks, we can find plenty of more subtle spring color in the catkins and buds of the aspen, alder, and willows along our way.










To our great delight, we found a periwinkle treasure here amongst the protective roots of an ancient maple, some early blooming Vinca.







And another sure sign that it's warming up -- this small Brown Snake basking on the warmth of the road. After the photo we helped him find the shoulder so that a passing car wouldn't turn his sunbath into a bloodbath.

Spring is here. It's just taking it's time convincing us that it's going to stick around for a bit.

No comments: