Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Audubon classes

Sorry about the recent blogging-blitz, I've just got SO much stuff to share, when I actually have a minute it's just sort of gushing out of me!

Yesterday we had a homeschooling program on the change of seasons at a local Connecticut Audubon Society center. My very favorite part of the day was when the instructor asked the kids if anyone knew why the leaves change colors in the fall. Zoo Boy's hand shot up high, and when he was called on, he explained "It's from a Frost Giant named Keskum -- when he touches the leaves they change color." After leaving the instructor with her jaw slack (I'm sure she never heard THAT answer before!) he turned to me (sitting across the room) and gave me a great big smile, which I of course returned. LOVE that Boy!!!

(I feel it's important to note that my kids pretty much read the encyclopedia in their spare time and possess many more facts in their brain than I would prefer they do at this age, so Zoo Boy DEFINITELY knows about chlorophyll. But I LOVE LOVE LOVE that he chose to offer the magical explanation for the change of seasons rather than the scientific one!)

Off we went to the woods behind the center for a scavenger hunt -- she paired the kids up (J and Zoo Boy were partners) and handed out clip boards with check lists. And then they were led to the places where they could find the items they needed to check off.



Ok, so you've probably figured out this wasn't exactly my idea of a nature walk. But it was a really nice day to be out in the woods, and the nature center itself was pretty cool (we'd not been there before) with a lot of live animals (including a Cockatoo with a huge vocabulary that really tickled the kids' funny bones).



Listening for crickets, finding nuts and seeds, making check marks on their lists....








But really, it WAS a lovely day to be outdoors. So, no complaints.






No comments: