Thursday, October 1, 2009

The Princess in the Tower

I've had a couple of complaints about my text not lining up properly with my photos when I use the medium sized photos, so I'm going to try to stick to the smaller size as much as possible from now on, so that hopefully things make more sense!

For the first half of the week (the last week of our first Language Arts block of the year) we worked with the Indian Fairy Tale "The Princess in the Tower" from the Enki Education 1st Grade Fairy Tales collection. It's your classic King-locks-Princess-in-tower-to-prevent-her-from-marrying-a-poor-man-as-prophesied-only-to-have-tower-key-in-fulfilling-prophesy story. Here in J's drawing, you can see the Eagle who brings the Princess's fabled love to her (while he was hiding in the carcass of an ox to stay warm -- the dude was SERIOUSLY poor....). There's the ox on the roof of the tower, with the hero peeking out.

Zoo Boy's drawing. The top of his tower is vastly wider than the tops of ours, and it's hard to see with the picture reduced to this size, but the princess's window is drawn in there, at about the same location as in J's drawing.






Zoo Boy's verse. Despite the longer length of this verse, he again did not resist writing two words, so he technically wrote half the verse on his own. Still using all capital letters, I realized that he's now bearing down harder on his pencil, and so is writing darker, almost as dark as I write.








My drawing for comparison. This was a gesture drawing with embellishments, the straight lines of the tower as one movement, and the movement of the waves as another. The kids made me draw in the drips of blood from the ox carcass.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey! i'm back into the bloggy world and i'm so glad to be back here! i love the photos of the cast of harvest mom characters!!! and i love what you and the boys are doing. all those drawings are beautiful. truly. xxx

Numeric MaMa said...

Wow! That is an amazing drawing you have done MaMa! Have you had art lessons? Let me know your secret. ;)

Harvest Moon Farm said...

LOL about the art lessons! I WISH! No, I learned this "form arising from environment" method by example from Beth Sutton at the Enki Conferences last year, supported by the material on the DVDs and the examples in the Enki guides. I've always enjoyed drawing, but am really not all that great at it. This method turns out to be sort of fool-proof -- I am continually surprised at how well my drawings turn out.