Saturday, April 5, 2008

Union Pond

At the end of the week we paid a visit to Union Pond, in Manchester, CT. There are a couple of parks on the pond, and a long trail around it. The kids wanted to walk the whole trail, but the wind was biting and cold (so much for spring!) and I didn't think any of us were up for a big excursion (nor did I bring along enough refreshments to sustain us!). I promised them we would come back to walk the entire trail when the weather got nicer and we had a picnic lunch with us.

J walks atop a railing at one of the parks.










The boys on an overlook, overlooking the pond (obviously!). We saw a cormorant out there, but little else. Did I mention it was cold and windy? (Mind you, the kids never complained once, but *I* was fairly uncomfortable the entire time.)


But we had a nice walk despite the weather. (Here Zoo Boy, in the front, is holding his hood down against the wind, which was howling even in the woods.)



J contemplates a Vernal Pool along the path.

I'll be happy to return again when we are better prepared for an extended adventure, but the kids had a blast today regardless. I think they've been as anxious for Spring -- and Spring outings! -- to start as I have. So it was worth putting up with our RIDICULOUS early spring weather to get in a little woods time again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ridiculous spring weather is right!

looks like you guys had a wonderful outing, none the less!