Saturday, February 7, 2009

just arrived!

Cuteness alert! Lambing has begun, yesterday afternoon we welcomed our first new babies of 2009:

Proud Mama, "Ugly Betty" shows off her new babies. (The chickens were excited too.)

Betty is my oldest ewe, this will most likely be the last year she is bred, so I'm excited to have gotten another nice set of twins out of her.







The little girl, "Bella".

She's a real beauty!

I don't suppose anyone is too surprised that my theme for naming lambs this year is the Twilight Saga?





The little boy, "Edward".

Isn't he just the cutest?!?!?!











This miserable beast is the father of them all. I can't even remember his name (I'm sort of pleased about that fact, actually!). He was the worst animal we've ever had on the property behavior-wise. He bent up several gates, ruined hundreds of yards of fence wire, pulled fence posts out of the ground, and crashed through his shelter (several times) to breed the ewes too early. (We really prefer lambing in March, not the dead of February.) The second he was done with his job here, we got rid of him.

But now, looking at the cute faces of his children, it seems like maybe all the trouble was worth it. He certainly was a handsome fellow, part Shetland, part North Country Cheviot, part Texel, I believe.

5 comments:

dongdong said...

Those lambs are just adorable. I also like your sense of humor in this post. :) so funny!

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh, they are so precious! we got a new puppy (a black lab) and named her Bella. we had to put our 2 dogs down b/c they became extremely aggressive towards addie :( but we miss you over on the TT front, I read your blog every day so I can stay caught up with you!! We have 27 Buff orpington eggs in the incubator right now :) Hope your doing well

Ashley From TT...(your DIL :)

Anonymous said...

PS...If you get a chance shoot me an email, arh009@bravemail.uncp.edu

Jenn said...

What cuties! Thanks for sharing. I'll show the kids in the morning.

Anonymous said...

oh gosh! they are ADORABLE!! even the old man. i guess it just goes to show that kids can soften up even old coots like him!

SO FUN TO SEE YOU ALL YESTERDAY!!