Friday, March 6, 2009

The Boy turns six

Zoo Boy is six years old today.

He wasn't so sure he wanted to be six. All week he's fretted about it. "I think it's going to take me time to get used to my new age," he offered. "I'm a little scared about being six," he worried. "I wish the earth would stop turning today so that I could stay five forever," he dreamed yesterday.

Today dawned, and when he woke me this morning and I said "Happy Birthday!" he groaned back "Whatever..." and pulled the blankets up over his head.

Apparently he really, really liked being five, and he does not want to grow up. He doesn't want to get bigger. He doesn't want to get older. He wants to be just like he is now because he's SO happy NOW.

I can sort of see his point.

But things changed rapidly. I suggested opening a present. I suggested a Hershey bar for breakfast. I suggested no "try food" (which I'll blog about at some point -- we're back on the SOS program to try to address his sensory issues revolving around food, so he's trying a new food at every meal). Suddenly he was all about embracing the birthday joy.

In the middle of story work this morning, he said,"You know, I was wrong. It's not going to take any time to adjust to my new age. I like being six."

1 comment:

dongdong said...

Happy Birthday, Zoo Boy! You're so lucky to have such a wonderful and dedicated mommy. We love following your journey.