Sunday, March 22, 2009

an interview with the kids

We're slowly -- ever so slowly -- recovering over here. We quietly greeted the Vernal Equinox by the fireside with popcorn and stories.

Meanwhile, Amy over at Live, Learn, Knit posted a really fun interview she did with her kids, and I instantly became curious about my own kids' answers. So I'm lifting the format from her, and asking the same questions to my kids. The questions are in bold type, the boys' answers are in regular type, and any comments I have to make are in italics :

1. What does your mom always say to you?
J: I love you
ZB: I don’t know (I rephrased it: Is there anything I say to you a lot? His answer was "no", but after hearing J's answer, he said “Oh, she says that to me too”)

2. What makes mom happy?
J: Being hugged
ZB: Being with her kids

3. What makes mom sad?
J: Not listening (hm, looks like the child actually does listen!)
ZB: Not being able to stay in bed forever (I'll bet none of you would have pegged me for being that lazy, eh?)

4. What does your mom do that makes you laugh?
J: Tell jokes
ZB: Tickle me

5. What was your mom like as a child?
J: helpful (Mom, I thought you'd get a kick out of that one!!)
ZB: I don’t really know

6. How old is your mom?
J: 43
ZB: 43
(But I'll have you know that neither of them think that I'm old! So there!)

7. How tall is your mom?
J: Now that is a problem….
ZB: I really don’t know
(Yet they can tell you how tall any one of 512 different Pokemon are....)

8. What is her favorite thing to do?
J: Train dogs
ZB: Circle (he means our "Adventure Circle")

9. What does your mom do when you’re not around?
J: Work
ZB: Computer, watch TV (while in bed, of course...)

10. If your mom becomes famous, what will it be for?
J: (shrugging) doing a show
ZB: a magician, I guess you could, I don’t really know
(both kids struggled with that question -- I guess they never considered that I could be famous!)

11. What is your mom really good at?
J: feeding us (ok, never has answer to anything made me laugh more....those of you who know about our difficulties with feeding these kids have got to be laughing right along with me!)
ZB: dog training

12. What is your mom NOT very good at?
J: patience with blowing Zoo Boy’s nose (time-sensitive answer, I've devoted 98% of the past two weeks of my life holding a tissue for Zoo Boy to blow into....)
ZB: (shrugs) uhhhhhhh……. (the boy diplomatically knows when not to answer a question)

13. What does your mom do for her job?
J: train dogs
ZB: teacher of dog training, and our teacher

14. What is your mom’s favorite food?
J: (shrugs)
ZB: I don’t know, what IS your favorite food?
(Is it no wonder these kids don't eat? Neither of them could even think of one food that I like to eat. And believe me, plenty of eating goes on around here, just not necessarily by the little people.)

15. What makes you proud of your mom?
J: Because you’re very lovable
ZB: She lets me be with her.

16. If your mom were a cartoon character, who would she be?
J: What is that, a person from a movie?
ZB: I don’t know!
(Both boys were mystified by the question -- they don't really watch TV, so don't actually know what a cartoon character is!)

17. What do you and your mom like to do together?
J: Have our circle (again with the "Adventure Circle" reference!)
ZB: that would take some thinking -- I guess just being together

18. How are you and your mom the same?
J: We have sparkly eyes
ZB: Our skin is the same color

19. How are you and your mom different?
J: you have glasses and I don’t
ZB: We’re different sizes
(I find it interesting that they both focused on physical characteristics while answering those last two questions.)

20. How do you know your mom loves you?
J: Because I was born to be loved (no confidence lacking there!)
ZB: Because I’m her child

21. Where is your mom’s favorite place to go?
J: The beach (For the record, I can't stand the beach -- but I guess I fake it pretty good!)
ZB: I don’t know

22. Where is your mom’s LEAST favorite place to go?
J: A building that’s on fire (Hmm...can't argue with him there...definitely worse than the beach!)
ZB: I don’t know (I think Zoo Boy was just tired of answering questions by this point.)


Ok, how about YOU guys?! Give the quiz to your kids and blog about it (or leave it in my comments), I would love to read the answers!!

3 comments:

amy said...

"I was born to be loved." Oh, I LOVE that answer!!!

dongdong said...

I did the same thing to my kids as I saw Amy's post. I like to interview kids. Their answers are always interesting and funny a lot of the times. :)

Your ZB is like my J, lots of honest I don't knows or to get an answer, I'll have to rephrase or ask in a slight different way.

Anonymous said...

i love ALL these answers!!! i had a BIG laugh along with you on #11!

i'm seeing this everywhere. so maybe i ought to try it with the fluffster?