Monday, March 16, 2009

more sugar, and why I like expired Motrin

While we struggle with yet another mystery virus (Winter IS going to end at some point this year, right?!), I figured I'd post a link to a few more photos from our Maple Sugaring Program this past Friday. Go here to see some more pics of the fun, taken by my friend L.

Meanwhile, isn't Homeopathy the most amazing thing? The Map Man called me at work tonight to let me know that Zoo Boy's 4-day-long fever had spiked above 103, and told me that our Children's Motrin was expired (having never been opened, incidentally -- we try not to interfere with our kids' bodies dealing with these things on their own unless absolutely necessary, so we buy a bottle of Motrin about once every 4 years to have on hand just in case, and we've yet to have to open one). I suggested dosing him with the Homeopathic remedy I'd given him earlier in this illness (Belladonna, for those of you in the know that might be curious), even though I had another one in mind to try if this didn't work. Well, it didn't, and his temp climbed even higher. So I headed home early, stopping at the 24-hr pharmacy on the way to grab that bottle of Motrin, feeling a bit sick to my stomach at the thought of actually giving it to him, but not particularly willing to risk a febrile seizure either. I figured if his temp were to climb above 104 I'd be happy to have it on hand.

Halfway home, I remembered the other remedy I was meaning to try (Pulsatilla), and called The Man to have him look it up in one of my Homeopathic Handbooks and read me what it said about that remedy in regards to fever. It was a perfect match, and I already knew his temperament and the way this illness was presenting was a good fit as well, so I had him dose him with that. By the time I got home (about 10 minutes later), the fever had fallen back to 102, and sure enough, over the next hour it continued to drop, and now he's back down to a warm but reasonable 100.4.

According to a couple of his cousins who also are dealing with the same bug, the fever breaks around day 5, so hopefully we're at the end of it. If not, I've got an appointment with the Pediatrician tomorrow. (Who is going to pass out if we actually walk through her doors twice within a week's time -- we were there just last week for J's eye -- she doesn't see much of us! Thanks, of course, to Homeopathy.) But I honestly can't think of WHY I would bring him in -- his nasal discharge, while profuse, is clear, so no infection there, and it's draining out of his head via his nose, not down his throat, so I'm not worried about pneumonia. He's not got any kind of significant cough, so it's not bronchitis. His throat's not sore, and the one time he complained of an earache was days ago (which disappeared after the use of that first Homeopathic remedy I mentioned). So I have a very strong suspicion that I'd make that trip for the diagnosis that I already know "He's got a virus. It's going around. Bed rest and plenty of fluids."

Hopefully he'll wake up feeling much more himself and we can avoid the Pediatrician altogether. And hopefully our new bottle of Motrin will remain unopened until it, too, expires.

4 comments:

dongdong said...

Have you hear of Sambucol (Black edlerberry cold and flu relief)? It a homeopath and tastes good.

I heard it from someone else when we were battling a virus couple weeks ago.

Hope he gets well soon!

Harvest Moon Farm said...

Thanks for the suggestion! I prefer to use single remedies (Classical Homeopathy)at higher potencies, and often forget that there are some pre-packaged homeopathics that can be useful in situations like this as well.

Anonymous said...

aw honey! so sorry you are dealing with all this! i want spring to come and dry up every last goopie glop.

meanwhile, you continue to inspire me with your natural approach to healing! i love it!
xxxx

dongdong said...

I believe they have that too. When I went to my local store, they just had the cold and flu one. here is the webpage in case you want to see.

http://www.sambucolusa.com

That's a good point about single remedies since I gave my daughter cough and fever reduce and the doctor think the cough was making her nose bleed like crazy and told us to stick with just fever reduce. Who knew?