Monday, September 19, 2011

genesis paintings, day 3

We all struggled with the day 3 paintings, during which we read the verses of genesis that cover the creation of plant life, and then the placement of the moon and the sun in the sky. For the first time, we were purposely trying to bring some form to our paintings, and it was a challenge -- usually kids have a year of bringing in a bit of form before attempting this series of paintings, which we haven't done since we'd been a bit behind with painting, so I had anticipated that it would be a bit challenging for us all. (Me too, I've had no prior painting experience at all before starting working with the kids with it a few years ago.) This first painting is mine.


Here's J's painting -- he alone didn't complain about how his came out, he has an uncanny way of seeing the beauty in everything, even when it doesn't come out as planned. Or perhaps the key to his positive attitude is that he doesn't really have any set expectations when he sits down to create, so he's happy with whatever happens to come out on the page. Either way, I wish I could can that and share it with others!



Zoo Boy was quite upset with the way his painting turned out. I let him be sad about it for a bit, then asked him if he wanted to talk about it. He told me that he didn't know WHY he was so sad. I said that I could understand why, I was sad that my painting didn't turn out the way I wanted it to, either. Then we talked about what went wrong while we were painting -- too much water on the page, we didn't use strong enough colors and there was too much paint on our brushes which only added more water to the page and blurred our figures. I pointed out how the roots of his tree looked more like roots than mine or J's paintings, and how that wouldn't have happened if his page had been as dry as ours. In the end we decided that we would try again tomorrow with the next painting and see if we couldn't correct some of the things we didn't like with this painting.

No comments: