Tuesday, October 7, 2008

a little political aside

You guys know that I don't often discuss political stuff here on the blog. And I'm sure most of you already know who I'M voting for in the presidential race, so there's probably no need to go into all that. I also know that those of you who are going to support the Republican ticket no matter what aren't going to be swayed from your position.

However, I did want to pose a question to those of you folks who aren't necessarily dyed in the wool Republicans, but are leaning towards throwing your vote towards the McCain/Palin ticket. And I'm not even going to touch John McCain, because I feel right now he's the least of our worries.

What I want to ask about is Sarah Palin. You know, that down-home folksy Governor of Alaska who some folks seem to find charming, because she reminds you of that really great neighbor who throws the big block party every year, always has a smile on his/her face and a beer in his/her hand, handing out burgers and dogs with a wink, a semi-racy joke, and a great big belly laugh on a sunny summer afternoon. No doubt, his/her friendly approach means grand popularity in the neighborhood, and even tolerance of the occasional late-night party noise that comes from his/her home. But is this someone you want managing your personal finances? Or representing you in a job interview?

But here's my real question:

Do you really want THAT neighbor leading our military, determining our economic future, and representing the "best" of what the USA has to offer? Because you need to be realistic about the possibilities of the VP taking over when the man you are trying to elect would be the oldest president-elect in history.

Call me crazy, but I prefer my elected national officials to sound, well, official. You know, educated. Articulate. Understanding the proper use of the language and how to keep those "g"s on the ends of words where they belong. I wouldn't mind having the other person over for a pig roast, but I want someone who presents a picture of competence in charge of leading our country.

We've had eight long years to be embarrassed by a leader who talks like a buffoon -- I really don't want to prolong that particular agony. Never mind all the policy issues that I don't agree with from that ticket, general embarrassment alone is enough for me to vote the other way.

Common sense, that's what I'm really talking about. I have no problem with a "hockey mom" being elected VP -- so long as she's actually qualified for the job and doesn't TALK like a "hockey mom". Palin strikes out on both counts, and so SO much more.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been hearing a lot of personal attacks against Sarah Palin that I think are totally irrelevant. I thought Democrats were supposed to be open minded and non-judgemental. I find it much too frightening to vote for a man so obviously naive in regards to international affairs. He has too many ties to the radical left and his own VP pick has said that Obama was not ready to be president. Sure all that he promises sounds good to the average joe, but can he really produce? I think these are far more important issues than what he sounds or looks like. I hope that America is more open minded and makes an informed decision based on the facts.

Harvest Moon Farm said...

First, I don't think it's just the Democrats that are criticizing her. I'm not a Democrat (I'm not affiliated with any political party) and I'm certainly not happy with her being on a national ticket.

Second, I don't particularly love Obama, I personally find him far too conservative, and I've criticized him on this blog for that very reason. However, given the options, he's got my vote. I don't think either candidate is going to bring about the level of change that is actually needed, but at least Obama's stepping in the right direction.

And third, I do not think that the way an elected world-leader presents themselves is at all irrelevent. They are representing their country, presumably put in office by the majority of the people of that country (although the last two elections have certainly proven that theory wrong). I think being represented by an intelligent, well-spoken person is of extreme importance to how we are perceived by the world, which, assuming we continue to want to have a voice in the world community, is pretty darned vital.

Anonymous said...

sorry...felt i had to respond to this one. personally, i like sarah palin. being an eastcoaster myself, of course there's part of me that cringes at her vernacular, but my hubby reminds me not to be such a snob. this is really the way most of america talks...and people respond to it. and being from the dc area makes us elitists of a sort. but i do admire her ability to stand by her beliefs - particularly on the pro-life issue - and i welcome her advocacy for special needs. she also has been able to govern a state, run it well despite ticking off her party, and still has a great approval rating - people shouldn't be fooled into thinking she's unintelligent or ineffective just because of the way she talks. it's going to be a tight race no matter how you look at it, but that sure makes it fun!

Anonymous said...

I don't think that it really matters whom is chosen in regards to the world's view of America. I think it is safe to say that most countries already have a certain disdain for us no matter who is representing. But I do agree that neither candidate is exactly what we need. I don't think that we will ever find a perfect fit. If we did, he or she would most likely not be electable. There is far too much corruption in government and there would be far too much resistance.

Anonymous said...

right on, harvest!

my issues with palin are that (1) her 'folksy' thing is phony. she doesn't even talk quite that way in her own home state. (2) she's not educated, not experience, and doesn't care. she's incurious. and righteous. a deadly combination. just look at the white house. (3) she's secretive and vindictive. (4) she is currently defying a constitutionally valid subpeana issued by a bi-partisan committee that SHE approved to investigate trooper-gate, the first time a vice presidential running mate has done such a thing in the history of our country. (5) she wants to repeal roe v. wade, even in the case of incest and rape. that alone would do it for me (6) she lies for her ticket and thinks nothing of it. (7) she allows herself to be used by her own party.

and yes, it's not just the democrats who are critical of her. there are many big-name important republicans who have come out and said, because mccain picked palin, they cannot endorse him. she had a big surge in the polls when no one knew anything about her and the numbers have been steadily falling ever since we began to get a closer look.

Anonymous said...

Kyra, I think you should take a look at BOTH parties with your claims! And, I have never heard Palin say that she would repeal Roe vs. Wade, only that she doesn't support abortion. And the recent dive that McCain took has less to do with Palin than it does the economy. And speaking of a VP with a lack of eloquence, how do you explain Biden? He lies, is folksy, ("o Lordy, God bless ya, etc) and misspeaks FREQUENTLY to his own embarassment.

Anonymous said...

sure, biden mispeaks and is folksy but he's no phony. and NOBODY is questioning his experience or education. so, yes. i'll happily look at both sides!

palin is pro life. she believes roe v. wade is wrong. she believes these decisions ought to be left to the state. it is her agenda to repeal that decision. and anyone who thinks otherwise is naive.