Thursday, October 30, 2008

pigs and politics

Ok, I just couldn't resist combining these two topics. Here's a photo of our brand new piglets, who we picked up from the farm where J celebrated his birthday today. I resisted the temptation to name them after politically relevant figures, and instead let Zoo Boy pick out their names. I'd like to introduce Red Oak (on the right) and White Oak (on the left), or as The Map Man fondly refers to them, The Oak Sisters.

And now for one last political comment before the elections. You all know how I'm voting. I'm pretty sure I know how you all are voting (well, those of you that I actually know anyway!). But I came across a link to an article on Jennifer's blog that I hope she won't mind if I swipe from her, because I thought it was good enough to share with all of my friends -- Reps, Dems, and everyone in between. It's written from a Christian point of view, but I hope that won't stop any non-Christians from reading it -- I certainly found plenty of common ground with the author, and it helped remind me that there really IS quite a lot of common ground to be found between even those of us with extremely opposite political and religious beliefs. I would ask that each of you read this before you go into the polls on Tuesday, and make your own list of "moral priorities" and think about how the candidate you are voting for stacks up.

Click here to go to the article "My Personal 'Faith' Priorities for this Election," by Jim Wallis.

And while I'm stealing interesting and thought-provoking political items from Jennifer, here's a really cool on-line quiz to test your Political Compass. I fall in the same political quadrant as the Dalai Lama, Nelson Mandela, and Ghandi. That sounds about right.

Educate yourself. And vote. It's your voice -- use it!

No comments: