Thursday, October 21, 2010

kids in the kitchen -- ham-n-egg Hawaiian pizza

The kids chose Ham-n-egg Hawaiian Pizza as their project for this week's meal. I raised my eyebrows at the name, but actually, this was DELICIOUS and I'm apt to make it again (or have them make it for me!). I also liked that it involved so many aspects of cooking.

So after making out their ingredient list, shopping for the ingredients, and convincing me that I should pay for the butter instead of them because they are only using a tablespoon of it and I'll use the rest (good point...even tho they really only wanted to have enough money in their budget to buy a sweet dessert), it was time to cook! First, breaking eggs and scrambling them up with a little salt and pepper.

While Zoo Boy went to change his clothes (because he broke his first egg all over himself rather than into the mixing bowl), J cooked the eggs (like regular scrambled eggs, but stopping while the eggs were still slightly wet).



Then he spread the eggs on top of a thin-crust Boboli pizza crust, while Zoo Boy opened the package of cheese.








They sprinkled shredded cheddar cheese generously over the eggs.








Then they used the kitchen shears to cut up slices of breakfast ham, and placed those on the pizza.







Then they added tidbits of pineapple. The pineapple was packages in it's own juice, so I sent them to find a slotted spoon -- apparently they'd never seen a slotted spoon before, so it was an amusing search, as I wouldn't give them any hints until they made a guess. First Zoo Boy pulled out a measuring spoon, and I said "Does that have slots in it?" Then J pulled out a spatula, which DID have slots in it, and I said "Is that a spoon?". They finally found the appropriate item and were able to finish topping their pizza.



Then it was into the oven for 12 minutes. Mmmmmmm....I can't even tell you how tasty this was.

No, the boys didn't eat it, but they did try all the components. J said he liked pretty much every part of it, but wasn't interested in eating it all combined together. Zoo Boy discovered that he really, REALLY hates pineapple. (Yet he swallowed it like a trooper.)

The Map Man and I willingly scoffed up whatever they didn't want to eat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such an awesome idea! I'm making their french toast sandwiches :) I can't wait to do things like this with Addie, she's still a little wild just yet :) oh, did I tell you we're seriously thinking about homeschooling?

Anonymous said...

That pizza looks great - I'm going to make one! I have to figure out where I can buy some Boboli though because every time I've looked for it here I can't find it.