Tuesday, July 3, 2007

treasure hunting

We've been collecting a lot of "treasures" at the beaches we go to. Here's some of our finds from the shoreline beach we went to this past weekend. I am endlessly fascinated by the variety of rocks -- The Map Man says I missed my calling as a geologist. (And actually, I haven't the least clue about geology -- I guess that's something the kids and I can learn about together as we go along! Right now I'm just enjoying the textures, colors and patterns without knowing the names and processes behind creating them.)

Here's where we keep our "treasures" at home -- we have a basket of stones/rocks, a basket of shells, and there are other finds like this driftwood scattered nearby. (We had a pretty cool crab exoskeleton too until it got too smelly to keep indoors.) These natural treasures are available to the kids so that they explore/play with/create with them whenever they choose. We'll continue to add to our collection on our various journeys and adventures.

No comments: