Tuesday, July 10, 2007

the banana slip

J came into the kitchen the other morning, eating a banana, which is his typical pre-breakfast snack. He looked at me, and dropped the banana peel on the floor. I launched into a lecture about where the RIGHT place to put a banana peel might be, but he interrupted me.

"I was trying to make a banana slip."

Banana slip? Banana split maybe (that's me, always thinking about food!). OH! Banana SLIP. As in, you step on a banana peel, and you slip. Got it!

"Oh, you were going to see what happens when you step on a banana peel?" I inquired, pleased with myself for figuring out the puzzle. Delighted, J nodded, and I dropped the peel back on the floor and said "knock yourself out!"

J feigned a casual approach, then very deliberately set his bare foot down on the banana peel. A very dramatic scene ensued, with J flinging himself too and fro, sliding around the kitchen, grinding every ounce of banananess into the floor, ending in a flourish with him flinging himself to the floor and claiming "Oof! I slipped on a banana peel."

I looked down at the mess and simply stated "Now there's banana goosh all over the floor." J happily chimed in "And all over my foot!", waving his banana-encrusted foot in the air for me to see.

We both laughed as we cleaned up his foot and the floor, and I said "Well, I guess now you know what happens when you step on a banana peel".

I'm hoping once was enough with that experiment. At least until he's big enough to effectively wield a mop.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

! Wow. I guess he doesn't have any sensory-related issues related to squishiness-ness!!! You're such a cool mom. Bev

Harvest Moon Farm said...

Actually, he DOES which is what made me wonder if I should post this here or on the other blog -- it's just danged amazing. I decided here was the place for fun stories from now on, because these amazing things are happening with such frequency now that I guess they are getting less amazing! And I'm enjoying celebrating the ordinary! :-)