Sunday, December 14, 2008

i -- vowels, part 6

From gnomes and plants and flames so high,
I learned the ways of all of life.
The true name must long endure
This I know both well and sure

With royal cloak I stand on high
And raise my spear to pierce the sky.
The answer does within us lie
The true name of the King is "I."

-from "The True Name of the King", Enki Education Grade 1 Academic Story

We wrapped up our vowel introductory series today -- it's been such a great week! During the last part of the story yesterday, we discovered that the true name of the King was "I". Today we painted a star that represented all of the vowel sounds we learned about (one point of the star for each vowel sound), with a multi-colored "I" in the middle where all the point colors meet, as "I" is a diphthong (it is made up of other vowel sounds -- ah-e).


The Map Man captured a photo of us working on painting our stars. As we painted each point, I recited the story verse that pertained to that color/vowel.

As usual, I much prefer the kids' work, so I'm only showing close-ups of theirs:

Here's J's star. We drew the letters on with colored pencils rather than painting them on, as I suspected otherwise they would be unrecognizable.








Zoo Boy's star. I really like the way his star point colors meet in the middle, although it does make it a little more difficult to see his "I".






Here's how I've displayed all the kids' work from this past week. I will keep it posted until after the holidays, at which time I'll add them to their "good books". To "reawaken" the material later (at least a month from now), I will hang just the letters and star paintings I did, in the same configuration as in the first photo above.

It's been a fun week, but a long one -- we're taking tomorrow off before starting our final week of school work before breaking for the holidays.

No comments: