Tuesday, July 7, 2009

honest to goodness

Ok, several other bloggers have mentioned me in the recent "Honest Scrap" meme that's going around. Without actually seeing any rules, it seems I'm supposed to share 7 things about me, honest things that maybe I don't necessarily share with just anybody. So here goes:

1. I share everything with everybody. Seriously. You know that expression, wearing your heart on your sleeve? If you look that phrase up on wikipedia, you'll find my photo. I have no secrets, I'm always honest, and I'll tell anything to anybody.

2. Don't ask me to keep any secrets. (See #1)

3. Part of the reason that I'm always honest is because when I was a child I was caught in a very traumatic lie. (I'm thinking about 3rd grade? My mother will correct me if I'm wrong.) I used to throw my sandwich out at school, because, you know, it was just SO not cool to actually EAT your sandwich. Well, one day, the trash can I normally tossed my sandwich out in was GONE. (I figured it must be an evil plot against me, perpetrated by either the principal or the cafeteria lady with the green teeth.) I had no choice but to take the sandwich back home with me in my lunch box. (Of course, I suppose I could have ditched in anywhere along the way from school to home, left it on the bus, or, egads, actually EAT it. But hey, those options were too far out of the box -- the lunch box! -- for me to even think of.) Well, I got home, dashed into the bathroom (feigning a stomach ache) and went to toss it out in our bathroom trash -- only to find that it, too, was missing. (Obviously a massive conspiracy!) And then, I admit, I panicked. I opened the bathroom window and threw the sandwich out, figuring the squirrels and birds might consume the evidence before my dad inevitably found the sandwich. Might have happened, too, if I'd thought to unwrap it from it's cloak of cellophane before I chucked it out there. Needless to say, the sandwich was found, my mother couldn't be convinced that it wasn't HER handiwork that lovingly wrapped that plain peanut butter on white bread concoction. Of course, that didn't keep me from denying ever having laid eyes on the sandwich. Ahem.

4. I'm not a good liar. (See #3, and refer back to #1)

5. I've been obsessed lately with Charlaine Harris's Southern Vampire Mysteries (also knows as the Sookie Stackhouse novels). My friend (enabler, co-conspirator, and soul sister) Tr got me going on them when I just couldn't pull myself out of the world of Forks (Jenn, if you are reading this, you might want to give it a try....). There are 9 books thus far in the series, and I've discovered a vampire I'm even more enamored of than Edward Cullen (I know, blasphemy, right?). These books aren't as tame as the teen-based Twilight saga, tho -- it's steamy enough to fog up my glasses in places, and violent enough to curl my toes. However, Harris's outstanding tongue-in-cheek writing keeps me cracking smiles (and letting out sudden embarrassing guffaws in quiet offices) while I read. If you like the supernatural at all, give it a shot, they are just plain fun.

6. As a direct result of #5, I am now hooked on the HBO series True Blood, which is based on the characters in the books. I can't remember enjoying a series more (well, since Battlestar Gallactica anyway, but that'll have to wait for another honesty meme....). Problem is, not only don't we have HBO, we don't even have cable. Needless to say, it's been a challenge to keep up, but I'm managing.

7. I really like doing memes. I could give you another 7 truths if you wanted them. Or 14. Or 714. My friend T said today that I have a lot to say. I do. And it's all the truth.

And that's probably enough truth from me for one night.

Anyone else wanna play? Consider yourself tagged!!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh, no! How you could do this to me? We're in the midst of a move (movers come on the 16th!!!) Enki 1st grade remains unread and in its original box ready to be cracked as soon as we settle in.... and you introduce me to another vampire series. I'm shuttin' my eyes. I swear I am. Well, maybe I'll just reserve one at the library... and save it for later... oh, who am I kidding.

dongdong said...

Thanks for sharing! I am not sure how you do it, between learning spanish, homeschooling, working pt, and reading your favorite books.

I loved learning more about you.