Monday, July 6, 2009

Spanish walk

My personal project for the summer has been to begin learning Spanish, at least enough so that I can start to bring a bit of organic foreign language to my kids in the fall. Someone from one of my Internet lists recommended Live Mocha, a free online foreign language program, and I've found it to be a very fun and easy method that connects me to native Spanish speakers to provide feedback for my written and oral exercises.

My enthusiasm is already spilling over, and I've discovered how easy it is to incorporate some simple observations on our morning walks with my ninos. I just point to what I'm talking about and indicate with a gesture what I am saying in Spanish. It's mind-blowing how fast the kids are picking up these simple phrases.

Here's a few examples:


La flor es roja.

(The flower is red.)








El arbol es alto.

(The tree is tall.)

El arbol es verde.

(The tree is green.)







La flor es baja.

(The flower is short.)

La flor es blanca y amarilla.

(The flower is white and yellow.)




El automovil es azul.

(The car is blue.)

The kids are already starting to create their own descriptions for things we encounter on our walk en Espanol. We are having so much fun with it already!

3 comments:

Terrabeth said...

Aawww, yay! I'm glad you're digging Live Mocha! It is pretty fun, isn't it? And so encouraging, those live reviews.

Terrabeth said...

Also, we play a version of I Spy in the car sometimes, spying different colors in Spanish. We rotate through the family, each person picking the color to look for, and then when we see it, we name it using the Spanish word. Whenever I see something for which I know the noun, as well, I'll be sure to say the noun and the color adjective after it. He loves to play this!

Harvest Moon Farm said...

Thanks for the idea, Terrabeth, I think my guys would love that game!