Wednesday, July 29, 2009

a week's worth of adventure

Here's a sampling from our past week's activities:

Waiting on the neighbor's step while I brought out her dog (which we've been walking for her while she's on vacation).








Blueberries ripening! (YUM!)













Why did the Eastern Painted Turtle cross the road?

(To lay her eggs -- it's no joke!)





Scootering at the local elementary school.












A Cecropia Moth, discovered on one of the kids' adventures without me. (I love it when I find stuff like this on my camera!)

(Addendum -- I mentioned to The Map Man that I wasn't sure if I spelled Cecropia correctly, and he told me that not only doesn't he know how to spell it, he also didn't know that's what it was called. He just knew it was a really big moth!)





Ditto for this American Robin's nest.

(Addendum -- although I suspect he DID know what this was. At least the "nest" part....)





Kings of the mountain.










Swimming in C and B's pool. (That's C's Golden Retriever, Tessie, in the background, doing her best to weasel her way into the kids' hearts -- she did a thorough job! J, who has been bound and determined to get a Corgi puppy someday is now thinking Golden Retriever.)


A little poolside entertainment -- the boys put on a musical comedy act for the other guests at the barbecue at C and B's house.






The super-hero duo of Mystery Man and his faithful side-kick Two-Tails.













Playing "Marco Polo" with lake friends.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did swimming lessons go this year?

Harvest Moon Farm said...

We're still in the midst of swim lessons -- we're on the 3rd two-week session with J in Level II. (Zoo Boy refused swim lessons this year, which I think was good all around....) J really wants to pass Level II during his final test next week, but I'm not confident that it's going to happen. He was pretty dissappointed he didn't pass this last time, he's bound to be more so if we get to the end of lessons and he doesn't pass. But the good news is that they are building a brand new YMCA with an indoor pool in a neiboring town, so once that opens, he'll be able to take swim lessons year round and I'm sure will see faster progress. He's trying REALLY hard, but getting his hair/ears wet is still a major issue for him. He is, however, starting to swim on his own pretty well.

Anonymous said...

We just did the Enki "Sun Bathers" story about the painted turtles this week as I've been noticing lots of box turtles crossing the road here at home. We're going to get out the clay and sculpt a turtle as our art project.

What a cool moth, too, btw! Looks like you all are having lots of fun for the summer!

Terrabeth said...

D'oh, that comment about "Sun Bathers" was from me... didn't mean to click the anonymous option! :)